February 8, 2008

Snag at Grubb Lake



Sometimes inspiration is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I was making my way around Grubb Lake, an endeavor midway between a walk and a hike, shortly after some violent thunderstorms and came upon this scene. A large tree had fallen, leaving a spectacular stump, or snag, and providing me with a wonderful photo op.


I first used the image as a cover for a tree themed art book. It is printed on cotton, stitched, and surrounded by richly textured wools:


Ordinarily I only use an image once, but the art book was just for my personal pleasure, and the image was still intriguing me. I wanted to give it a richer treatment, and the result is this small quilt, Snag at Grubb Lake:
Here's a detail shot, showing some of the intricate stitching and the hand beading:




No comments: