February 21, 2008

Collages for a Cause



I've finished The Last Hurrah series of collages I've been working on, and am pleased to announce that two of them are going to Virginia Spiegel's Collage Mania fundraiser for Fiberart for a Cause. I've supported FFAC in the past with postcard donations, and am proud to do my part again with the collages.

"The Last Hurrah #1" and "The Last Hurrah #2" are heliographic prints on cotton, with stitching, paint, and tulle. The prints were made with leaves from a white mulberry tree. They measure 8.5" h x 6.5" w, and are mounted on mat board, dated, signed, and ready to frame.
When I picked the leaves for the prints last fall, it was just days before a killing frost, the last hurrah of Indian Summer. But I was also thinking about larger issues; I hope we are on the cusp of a change in attitude and leadership that will lead to improved environmental awareness. I hope that action will be taken to forestall the worst effects of global warming, and that we are not now witnessing the last hurrah for countless fauna and flora that could be lost to us.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are so simple, yet so beautiful. I share your sentiments about how recklessly we are destroying resources that may never exist again and hope we can reverse that trend in the coming years.