I finished hand stitching the silk hexagons that comprise my "mirror". It was very satisfying work.
I chose one of the photos I took at the Artist Event, edited it, and switched it to a greyscale, negative image. I printed it out on an acetate sheet in preparation for printmaking on fabric.
I often work with the cyanotype process. It was developed in the mid 1800's as one of the first photographic processes. Anna Atkins used it for scientific illustration of botanical specimens, a technological marvel of its time. I liked the idea of using this older technology in my work about cutting-edge technology, as a way of expressing the continuity of scientific progress.
Here I began by coating cotton fabric with the cyanotype chemical solution and letting it dry in darkroom conditions. I masked the fabric with the acetate transparency sheet, then exposed it to sunlight (UV light) for a timed exposure. After exposure, I rinsed the fabric to develop the Prussian blue color on the print.
Stay tuned! And as always, thanks for reading and commenting.