May 15, 2016

The Susquehanna and the Enola Low Grade Trail

It was another cool, gray, rainy week. Despite the weather, I'm trying to get the garden in, so I made just a quick trip for my 52 Ways to Look at the River photo shoot.  I went to the Enola Low Grade Trail:

Enola Low Grade Trail
This section of the trail flanks the railroad tracks along the Susquehanna from Turkey Hill to the Safe Harbor Dam.  I go there from time to time to get in a bike ride, as the trail bed is excellent, and I've been there before for this project.  Way back in week 8 I took this fisheye picture on a hot, sunny day:
Week 8 Image, 52 Ways to Look at the River, by Sue Reno
Week 8 Image, 52 Ways to Look at the River
I used it as inspiration for this panel:
Week 8 Panel, 52 Ways to Look at the River, by Sue Reno
Week 8 Panel, 52 Ways to Look at the River
And on week 11 I was back to climb the adjacent trail up to Turkey Hill and take another fisheye picture.
Week 11 Image, 52 Ways to Look at the River, by Sue Reno
Week 11 Image, 52 Ways to Look at the River
 Which I turned into this panel:
Week 11 Panel, 52 Ways to Look at the River, by Sue Reno
Week 11 Panel, 52 Ways to Look at the River
This same vantage point was the subject of this small art quilt, View From Turkey Hill, which I sold years ago.  Before the current trail version of the trail opened, it was a more rustic hike, as I reported back in 2012.
View From Turkey Hill, by Sue Reno
View From Turkey Hill
And way back in 2009, the old trail was the site of my paw paw extravaganza:
Sue Reno holding a pawpaw


This time around nature's palette was much more subdued:
Susquehanna River by the Enola Low Grade Trail
With the only pop of color coming from the caboose on display:
Red Caboose on the Enola Low Grade Trail
So I decided to embrace the gray, and turned my telephoto lens towards that group of islands.  Here's the week 46 inspiration image:
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 46 image, by Sue Reno
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 46 image,


And the resultant panel, 6" x 12", wool and silk, needlefelted and stitched:
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 46 panel, by Sue Reno
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 46 panel


You can follow along with the 52 Ways to Look at the River project on your platform of choice:
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/suereno/
Instagram: sue_reno_studio

I've added a "52 Weeks" tab at the top header so you can track the project back to the beginning.

As always, thank you for reading and commenting.

1 comment:

Heather Pregger said...

I love the week 46 inspiration image. It's very oriental. And your piece is, as always, beautiful.