September 8, 2015
Work in Progress, Raccoon and Apple – Update 3
While I was working on the overall design, I did the first round of stitching on the prints. The skulls got a lot of detailed outline work, and were filled in with pebble stitching.
The apple prints were outlined, leaf veins added, then echo stitched.
I always add a vintage component to the Flora and Fauna works, and for this one I chose a vintage embroidery of a lily from my collection, to represent the lilies that grow under my apple tree. It lacked punch, so I painted inside the embroidered lines, then stitched and echo stitched it.
At that point it had a bit too much punch, and the large proportion of white space was distracting in the overall design. So I did some dry brush work over the echo stitched lines, just hitting the ridges, and liked the effect very much.