July 9, 2011

Vintage India - Khajuraho

 This set of vintage India photos from the mid-70's is from the Hindu and Jain temple complex of Khajuraho, in the state of Madhya Pradesh.  It's an impressive set of monuments in a beautiful setting, and is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  The picture of me posed along the side of one of the temples, above, gives a sense of the scale of the buildings, as does the view looking up, below:
 Here I am posed in the lawn of the grounds-I love this shot:
 Here was our self-appointed guide, happy to point out salient features in exchange for a few rupees:
 The temples are famous for their erotic sculptures, or yantras, which are plentiful and explicit; however their intent is spiritual, not prurient.
 A few more views of the temples and the complex--great lines and proportions.  It is deservedly one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. Luckily, the day I visited it was not crowded, and these pictures have an intimate feel to them, enhanced by the way the colors of the prints aged:


If you are new here, I am posting pictures from my time spent as a University student in India in 1974, as preparation for a return trip later this summer where I will be looking for textiles and inspiration.  All pictures enlarge if you click on them.  For more vintage goodies see my posts on Kerala, Chennakeshava and Hoysaleswara Temples, Tamil Nadu, Bombay, and the Taj Mahal and Agra.

No comments: