June 14, 2011

Vintage India - Chennakeshava and Hoysaleswara Temples

 This set of vintage 1974 India photos are from two ancient temples in Karnatak State.  Chennakesava Temple in Belur dates from 1117 CE and is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  Above is the view of the tiered steps to the main temple; below is the Gopura at the entrance to the temple complex.
 I had forgotten this picture existed and was delighted to rediscover it;  I certainly look delighted to be there:

 Nearby is the Hoysaleswara Temple in Halebidu, which dates from 1121 CE:
 Both temples are renowned for their magnificent carvings.  Here are Siva and Parvathi at Hoysaleswara:
 I'm no longer certain which of the temples I took these pictures at, but I present them for your enjoyment nonetheless:
 I love the way the girl's hand mirror the sculpture in this photo:
 All the pictures enlarge when you click on them.

If you are new here and enjoying my blast from the past, you can see more vintage India photos in previous blog posts from Tamil Nadu, Bombay,  and the Taj Mahal and Agra.  And there's many more wonderful images to come, so stay tuned!

No comments: