August 2, 2024

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 92

 Welcome to installment 92 of experiments in wet cyanotype. Today's excitement comes from my discovery of a patch of tall blue lettuce, Lactuca biennis. It's a native wild plant here in Pennsylvania, and as the name suggests, it's a biennial. In its second year it sends up a 6-10 foot tall flower stalk, with leaves descending in size as they rise, topped of with a set of small blue flowers. It has a history of being used medicinally, and is just plain cool to observe. I started with a print on a long panel of cotton sateen, using the standard cyanotype chemicals with just a touch of Solarfast solar dye.  

Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1191

I made two smaller panels on some cotton I had with small woven dots in it. I will miss this fabric when it is used up.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1192


Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1193
Here are all the panels after exposure but before rinsing. They are always so dramatic at this stage.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1194

Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1195


Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1196
Here are the finished panels.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1197
I had good weather for printing, hot and sunny, and was able to capture a lot of the details in the toothed edges.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1198
So pretty! I am pleased.
Sue Reno_wet cyanotype_image 1199
I've used these leaves once before, way back in 2005, for the eponymously named Tall Blue Lettuce. It was very popular back in the day.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to revisit this imagery. I'm also grateful for the advanced in digital photography since then! 
Tall Blue Lettuce, by Sue Reno
Tall Blue Lettuce

I'm now on Bluesky! Pick your platform to find and follow my content, and as always, thanks for reading.

No comments: