September 21, 2024

Experiments in film photography- part 2

Sue Reno,  metropolis film, image 1
Welcome to this installment of my experiments in film photography, using vintage cameras. Today I'm sharing highlights from a roll of 35mm Lomography LomoChrome Metropolis I shot during the summer months with a Minolta Maxxum 50.
Sue Reno,  metropolis film, image 2
The film has a very desaturated look, with muted colors. From my experience and from reading about it, I'd say it's best suited for urban/architectural subjects. I really like the way it captured this tunnel on the Montour Trail near Pittsburgh. I've photographed it before and love the chill tones of this version.
Sue Reno,  metropolis film, image 3
I also tried it on one of my other oft-photographed subjects, the Veterans Memorial Bridge over the Susquehanna, as seen from the Wrightsville, PA side. It was a very bright and sunny day, and I think I overexposed it a bit as I would have liked to see more of the blue sky, but that's what experiments are for.
Sue Reno,  metropolis film, image 4


Sue Reno,  metropolis film, image 5

These are the best of my tries at capturing greenery. It's a vibe, for sure, but it's probably not my vibe going forward. 
Sue Reno,  metropolis film, image 6


Sue Reno,  metropolis film, image 7
These last images are from tour of the Carrie Blast Furnaces National Historic Landmark, which I can highly recommend is you are a fan of rusting relics, fascinating historical lore, and the role of labor in industrial societies. Our tour guide was excellent! 

Sue Reno,  metropolis film, image 8
It was a stunningly hot and sunny day, and again the blue sky is very faded, but I really love the colors and tones of the machinery. It's a vintage grunge look especially suited to the subject.

Sue Reno,  metropolis film, image 9

I would try this film again if I were planning on a urban/industrial shoot. "Metropolis" is right there in the name for a reason! It's great that the resurgence of film photography is making these specialty films readily available. 

I'm now on Bluesky! Pick your platform to find and follow my content, and as always, thanks for reading.


No comments: