October 8, 2020

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 52

Wet cyanotye_Sue Reno_Image 756


Welcome to part 52 of my ongoing series of wet cyanotype experiments. For this set of prints I was again working with mineral paper, exposing it for many hours in bright, warm September sunshine. I gathered the leaves from my garden and the surrounding woodlands, starting with an elm twig, above, and a sprig of the dreaded invasive, Japanese knotweed, below. Printing with it is one way to work on its eradication!
Wet cyanotye_Sue Reno_Image 757
I also used a frond of cultivated fern:
Wet cyanotye_Sue Reno_Image 758
And a calla lily leaf. I love their shape, and the semi-transparent markings on the leaves of some varieties. 

Mineral paper is not as absorbent as the fabrics I am accustomed to work with, so I am fascinated by the way the chemicals swirl around on the paper so rapidly when I first set them out to expose.

Wet cyanotye_Sue Reno_Image 759
Here are the prints after exposure and before rinsing. 
Wet cyanotye_Sue Reno_Image 760
There is so much going on here.
Wet cyanotye_Sue Reno_Image 761

Wet cyanotye_Sue Reno_Image 762
That rusty color is particularly wonderful. The patterning looks like a river delta. 
Wet cyanotye_Sue Reno_Image 763
Here are the finished prints.
Wet cyanotye_Sue Reno_Image 764
Just like with wet cyan prints on fabric, it's hard to control the process, but it's also hard to go wrong.
Wet cyanotye_Sue Reno_Image 765
I love all the swirly patterning in the background, contrasted with the very fine leaf definition.
Wet cyanotye_Sue Reno_Image 766
And look! The white markings on the calla leaf let the UV rays through. 
Wet cyanotye_Sue Reno_Image 767

A reminder that you can also follow on your platform of choice:

 

No comments: