April 11, 2020

New work - In Dreams I Saw the Rift

In Dreams I Saw the Rift, by Sue Reno
In Dreams I Saw the Rift
 I am pleased to share my new work, In Dreams I Saw the Rift. It's the latest in my series The River, which to date has been focused on my decades of experience living near the Susquehanna in Pennsylvania.
In Dreams I Saw the Rift, by Sue Reno, detail 1
In Dreams I Saw the Rift, detail 1

 I've been working on this piece, off and on, for several years, and as I progressed the theme became clearer and clearer. I finished it just before the corona virus crisis became acute. To me it represents chaotic neutral--whatever comes next could be positive, or negative, or most likely a mixture of both.
In Dreams I Saw the Rift, by Sue Reno, detail 2
In Dreams I Saw the Rift, detail 2
 But as always, I try and leave it up to you, the viewer, to draw your own interpretations of the imagery.
In Dreams I Saw the Rift, by Sue Reno, detail 3
In Dreams I Saw the Rift, detail 3
 The top portion is made from handstitched hexagons of fabric, done in the English paper piecing method. The middle portion is needlefelted and quilted, with lots of hand embroidery on the wool borders. I had a lovely time with all that time consuming hand stitching.
In Dreams I Saw the Rift, by Sue Reno, detail 4
In Dreams I Saw the Rift, detail 4
 The borders are cyanotypes of bamboo, with a wet process cyanotype fern print anchoring it at the bottom. The quilt measures 66"h x 59" w.
In Dreams I Saw the Rift, by Sue Reno, detail 5
In Dreams I Saw the Rift, detail5
You can track it back as a work in progress by clicking here.

As always, thank you for reading, and special thanks to everyone who has shown interest in the progress posts and photos.

You can follow my work in progress on your social media of choice:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

No comments: