September 1, 2018

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 29

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 465
Welcome to part 29 of my ongoing experiments with wet cyanotype. You can read all of the posts in reverse chronological order by clicking the Wet Cyanotype tab in the top header, or go here.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 466
Buoyed by my previous success in combining wet cyanotype with SolarFast dyes, I repeated the process for this batch. Again, I painted fresh cyanotype solution in the center of cotton panels, surrounded it with SolarFast red dye, and laid on my plants. I used Queen Anne's lace for these two.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 467
Then I did two with red maple leaves.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 468
For three of the panels I topped them with glass for the exposure. I kept the exposure times on the short side, about an hour, for the ones with the flowers. Here they are after exposure, and after spending the night drying off in a dark room.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 469

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 470
I left the maple leaves out in the sun longer, about 4 hours. For one I used a pane of glass, for the other I used a sheet of thin vinyl.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 471
I really like the way the creases in the vinyl collected moisture and left a pattern. This is worthy of further exploration.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 472
Here are the finished prints. As in the last batch, I first rinsed out the excess cyanotype chemicals as per usual practice, then washed them with textile detergent to properly set the SolarFast.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 473
This one has a yearning vibe I find particular appealing.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 474

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 475
The maple prints turned out great as well.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 476
This was the last of the SolarFast products I had on hand. I wanted to use them up this summer, and that prompt worked out much better than I had anticipated. (See other experiments here.)  I have more ideas for experimentation, but practically speaking I will probably not get to restocking it and working with it until next spring.

Thanks for reading. Recently there was a glitch with the Blogger comment notification process (affecting everyone, not just me) that was preventing me from approving comments in a timely fashion. I think it's all fixed now, so thanks for your patience and feel free to weigh in with your thoughts!

Your reminder that you can also follow along on your social media of choice:

Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

No comments: