August 30, 2018

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 28

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 446
Welcome to part 28 of my ongoing experiments with the wet cyanotype process.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 447
This batch of prints was the ultimate endgame of my concurrent experiments with SolarFast solar dye. I wanted to try combining the two, but there were several technical issues to think through, due to the two processes having  different usage instructions. I settled for really putting the "wet" in wet cyanotype, applying the fresh solution to the center of the panels and then painting the red SolarFast around the margins. I added some good sturdy leaves, tall blue lettuce and tulip poplar, and spritzed the whole works with a bit more water. These cotton sateen panels, at 24" square, were larger than any of my glass, so I used a clear piece of vinyl. There were fold lines in the vinyl which I hoped would ease out in the sun--they didn't, but it turned out to be a bonus.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 448
To round out the batch I did some straight wet cyan prints on cotton sateen, using chestnut oak leaves:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 449

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 450

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 451
And I snuck another tulip poplar leaf in there as well. This was in early August, with the weather almost unbearably hot and humid. A three hour exposure seemed sufficient.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 452
When I brought the prints in I had another choice to make.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 453
Cyanotype prints need to be rinsed thoroughly  in plain water. SolarFast prints need to be washed out with textile detergent. I let the damp prints dry overnight in a dark room to hopefully further set whatever reactions I had going on there.They did look promising.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 454
The regular wet cyan prints looked promising as well.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 455

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 456
I love taking pictures of them at this stage because the imagery is so fleeting.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 457

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 458
The next day I rinsed out the excess cyanotype chemicals, then held my breath and washed the panels with Synthrapol to remove the excess SolarFast product. And it worked! These prints exceeded my expectations.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 459
I really like the way the two sets of chemicals moved around and co-mingled, and the marks left by the creases in the vinyl covers.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 460
The regular wet cyan prints were also a delight.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 461
I haven't worked with chestnut oak leaves for a long time, and now I'm all about them again.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 462

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 463

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 464
Thanks for reading. Recently there was a glitch with the Blogger comment notification process (affecting everyone, not just me) that was preventing me from approving comments in a timely fashion. I think it's all fixed now, so thanks for your patience and feel free to weigh in with your thoughts!

And your reminder that you can also follow along on your social media of choice:

Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

No comments: