September 5, 2018

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 30

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 477
 Wow, here I am at part 30 of my experiments in wet cyanotype! It's been a fun ride so far, and I remain as fired up about the process as I was when I first started. Big thanks to everyone who has followed along so far.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 478
 I did a fairly straightforward batch of wet cyan prints, with an eye to the changing of the seasons starting to limit my plant availability. But realistically, the weather is still terrifically hot and humid here in PA, and this batch printed up in a fashion typical of mid summer. I used hosta leaves and a sprig of comfrey for the first three.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 479
 I then tried some big old dandelion leaves that had made themselves at home in a flowerbed. It's been too beastly out to do much gardening, so this counted as weeding.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 480

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 481

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 482
 I rounded out the batch with a wood poppy leaf, and a twig from my ninebark shrub. For some of them I added some washing soda solution, and on others a bit of very dilute red textile paint,
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 483
 The cyanotype colors broke down quickly and beautifully.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 484
 I let them expose for about 6 hours in the bright sun and high heat.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 485
 These are the prints after exposure and before rinsing. They are looking beautiful and promising.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 486

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 487
 That red paint moves around in very unpredictable ways. I love what it's done here.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 488

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 489

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 490
 And here are the finished prints, keepers and small delights all.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 491

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 492

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 493
 I love the much maligned dandelions in general; I've made wine with the blossoms, and eaten the greens in the spring. Now I can add printmaking fodder to their list of laudable qualities.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 494

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 495
 I got some nice eco-prints tones from the sap in the wood poppy leaf.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 496
 The ninebark print has a lot going on as well.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 497
As always, thanks for reading and commenting!

Your reminder that you can also follow along on your social media of choice:

Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Great results....thanks for sharing!!