April 4, 2018

Halcyon Days for SAQA Benefit Auction

Halcyon Days, by Sue Reno
Halcyon Days
 Here's Halcyon Days, a 12" x 12" art quilt I made specifically for the SAQA Benefit Auction that begins in September. It features one of the wet cyanotype prints I made last summer, and have blogged about extensively. The print has been heavily stitched, and I added borders made from my hand-painted fabrics. It's signed and finished on the back with a hanging sleeve.
Hosta leaf, wet cyanotype print in progress, for Halcyon Days
 Above is the hosta leaf as a print in progress on a piece of treated cotton sateen; below is the print after about 24 hours exposure, before it was rinsed.
Hosta leaf, unrinsed wet cyanotype print, for Halcyon Days
 Below is the finished and rinsed print. It's lovely as is, but one of the reasons I love what I do is how much the stitching enhances the print, adding line and texture.
Hosta leaf, wet cyanotype print, for Halcyon Days
I've been a SAQA member for many years, and have benefited from membership in numerous ways, most recently from my acceptance into the Metamorphosis exhibit. So I am happy to be able to make a contribution. I'll update in September once I have the auction dates for Halcyon Days.

As always, thanks for reading and commenting.

1 comment:

Lynda said...

I've just been bitten by the wetcyan bug and was so happy to see your posts. I could have commented on every one, but this one showing a finished piece I just couldn't leave without saying something. It is absolutely stunning!! Unfortunately, we got rid of all of our hostas, had a variety of them we've bought over the years, due to the deer using the hosta area as their buffet so they ate them before we were able to enjoy them. I've replaced them all with ferns which I love to sun print. Now I'm printing this way. Thanks again for these informative posts. I've tried the soda ash and I love how it makes the sparkles. Next will be the textile paint. Lynda