April 13, 2018

52 Ways to Look at the River - Acceptance for Art of the State

52 Ways to Look at the River, by Sue Reno
52 Ways to Look at the River
 I am thrilled to share that 52 Ways to Look at the River has been accepted for the Art of the State: Pennsylvania 2018 Exhibit. It will be at the State Museum of PA from June 24 - September 9, 2018.
52 Ways to Look at the River, by Sue Reno, detail 1
52 Ways to Look at the River, detail 1
 This is a very competitive show, with entries in five categories - craft, painting, photography and digital media, sculpture, and work on paper. This year there were 104 works chosen from a field of nearly 1,800. Once again I feel as though I have hit the lottery!
52 Ways to Look at the River, by Sue Reno, detail 2
52 Ways to Look at the River, detail 2
 This work was a self-directed project. Beginning on the 2015 summer solstice and continuing uninterrupted for a year, each week I visited the Susquehanna River somewhere along its course and took pictures. Back in the studio, I chose an image and interpreted it in a 6” x 12” fiber art panel. The panels are on a wool/rayon felt base and are primarily needlefelted with wool and silk fiber, with some added applique, and were machine and hand stitched. 
At the end of the 52 weeks, I began assembly of the panels.  I handpainted fabric and quilted it to form a background. Each panel was appliqued onto black felt and then stitched on the quilt. I added hand beadwork with glass beads and semi-precious stones.The finished piece is 72"h x 82" w. The gallery in the Museum has the scale, the room, and the lighting to display it to its full potential.
52 Ways to Look at the River, by Sue Reno, detail 3
52 Ways to Look at the River, detail 3
 As I was working, I documented the process extensively here on my blog. To review it in reverse chronological order, click the "52 Ways" header at the top, or go here.
52 Ways to Look at the River, by Sue Reno, detail 4
52 Ways to Look at the River, detail 4
 This work was a true labor of love, for the Susquehanna River and the landscape I call home, and I'm so lucky I have this opportunity to share it. The opening reception is on Sunday, June 24, and I hope I will see some of you there.
52 Ways to Look at the River, by Sue Reno, detail 5
52 Ways to Look at the River, detail 5
As always, thanks for reading and commenting.

And a reminder that I also post on social media:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

1 comment:

christine said...

I hope I will make a trip to Harrisburg this summer, I grew up in Danville and now live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. This project sounds and looks so interesting.