August 29, 2017

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 10

Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 137
I'm been working furiously to capture the last images of summer, while also greatly looking forward to autumn. This time of year is great for appreciating the insect damage on leaves, like these Japanese anemones, above. I'm also enjoying the last of the gladiolus, below.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 138
For this batch of wet cyanotype prints, I continued to use a spritz of diluted Dye-na-flow textile paint on the foam board under the fabric. I also mixed it up a bit by using a light spray of diluted washing soda around the edges, after laying on the leaves. It changes the pH and breaks down the chemicals to add more mottling.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 139
I never tire of plume poppy leaves, above, and hostas, below.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 140
If you are new here, I am documenting my experiments with the wet cyanotype process, including the many successes and the handful of failures. You can view all the posts in reverse chronological order by clicking on the Wet Cyanotype tab in the top header.

I rounded out this batch with a melange of a wood poppy leaf, a calla leaf, and some Christmas fern fronds.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 141
My previous exposure local was getting more shaded as the season progresses, so I set these in a different spot that gets continual sun. It was a hot sunny day, with moderate humidity. After a ten hour day I declared these done and brought them in to dry before rinsing.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 142
The washing soda effect was dramatic on some of them. And the paint colored in the gladiolus nicely.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 143
There's so much going on here!
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 144

Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 145
After a somewhat disappointing try with a calla leaf in the last batch, I was especially happy with the first look at this one:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 146

Here are the finished prints. It looks like fireworks, or some sort of outrageous celestial events, are happening in the backgrounds:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 147
The dynamic tension in this one is intense:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 148
The interior of the plume poppy leaves often tend towards purple tones with this technique:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 149
I captured lots of veining with this hosta leaf:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 150
I am very chuffed about this one:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 151
All in all, a good day and a good batch of prints.

Stay tuned, there's (at least) one more batch on the way. And thanks for reading and commenting.

2 comments:

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

These are amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your processes and results.

Anonymous said...

I've got to try the soda ash spray....it looks absolutely fabulous!!
thanks Sue for your generosity in sharing your process,
Barbara