June 2, 2016

52 Ways to Look at the River, update 7

52 Ways to Look at the River, weeks 1 - 48, by Sue Reno
52 Ways to Look at the River, weeks 1 - 48
  I have completed week 48 in my year long, self directed project, 52 Ways to Look at the River, and am coming down the home stretch.  Every week I travel to a locale along the Susquehanna River and take a picture. I use the image as the inspiration for a fiber art panel.  The panels are 6" x 12", and are  needlefelted with wool and silk, with added detailing by stitch and applique. In the photo above the 48 to date are pinned up on a foam board.  When I have all 52 finished I will begin to assemble them into several quilts. I'm still experimenting with how best to arrange them.

Below are the panels I have made since the last update.  Most of them have warranted their own blog post, which you can track back to by clicking on the "52 Weeks" tab in the top header.


52 Ways to Look at the River, week 41, by Sue Reno
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 41

52 Ways to Look at the River, week 42, by Sue Reno
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 42

52 Ways to Look at the River, week 43, by Sue Reno
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 43

52 Ways to Look at the River, week 44, by Sue Reno
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 44

52 Ways to Look at the River, week 45, by Sue Reno
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 45

52 Ways to Look at the River, week 46, by Sue Reno
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 46
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 47, by Sue Reno
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 47

52 Ways to Look at the River, week 48, by Sue Reno
52 Ways to Look at the River, week 48
I can't emphasize enough how glad I am I embarked on this project. I've honed my design and construction skills in this format. I've had the pleasure of seeing the Susquehanna each week in a different locale and a wide variety of weather conditions.  Week by week I've built up a body of vignettes  that I am looking forward to combining and integrating. And I've modeled patience and discipline in my artistic practice.

Perhaps you've had this experience: You go on an extended trip or long-anticipated vacation, and immerse yourself in the culture and daily rhythms of your exotic locale. You love everything about it, and entertain fantasies of blowing up your "real" life and making the move permanent.  And then, on the last day or so, you realize that you are actually ready to go home.  That to me is the sign of a successful vacation, and it's akin to where I'm at with this project. I'm loving it, but I'll be ready to wrap it up and make room for what comes next.

It's wide open as to where I'm going for the final 4 photo shoots. On a road trip? To a familiar spot to look at it with a fresh perspective?  You can follow along with each week's reveal on your platform of choice:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/suereno/
Instagram: sue_reno_studio

As always, thanks for reading and commenting.

2 comments:

KrisPK said...

I am astounded! The idea, the perseverance, the outcomes...all are amazing and inspiring.

Sue Reno said...

Very kind of you Kris, thanks!