June 22, 2013

Knit the Bridge in Pittsburgh

I visit Pittsburgh, PA frequently, and have come to love the city more with each trip. I especially love photographing the architecture and the bridges.  I have a lot of fun with my fisheye lens:
SueReno_WarholBridge_Pittsburgh_Fisheye
So have been following with great interest the efforts of Knit the Bridge, a group of fiber artists with the goal of covering an entire bridge with knitted and crocheted panels--yarn bombing on a massive and completely wonderful scale.  It will be America’s biggest yarnbomb!  Even more impressively,  they have turned their project into a wonderful community outreach program, involving the majority of the communities in Allegheny County.
SueReno_WarholBridge_Pittsburgh
Recently they have reached an important milestone, as the Knit the Bridge ordinance was passed unanimously by the Allegheny County Council.  They now have official permission for the use of the Andy Warhol/7th Street Bridge.  You can read all about it in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.  The panels will be up from August 5th to September 7th.  I will be making a trip specifically to walk the bridge and take photos.  I think it will be amazing.
KnitTheBridge-project-fi2013

You can follow the Knit The Bridge news on their Blog and on their Facebook Page

And if you can, please consider making a contribution, large or small, to their Indiegogo campaign, to help pay for installation costs, ensure public safety, and reuse the materials.  They have a lot of cool rewards.

Full Disclosure:  I have no connection to the project, aside from being an enthusiastic supporter, and my friendship with Penny Mateer, one of the artists who is making this happen.  Basically, I think it’s cool and I want to experience it.  Pass the word along!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, I've been watching this projrct
as well. Thanks for the updates.

Stella said...

I'm super excited about this as well - my mom made one of the knitted panels, and I'm hoping I can get out to Pittsburgh while it's up!