June 6, 2012

Skunk and Garlic Mustard Acceptance to Pushing the Limits

I am very happy to announce that my latest work, Skunk and Garlic Mustard, has been accepted into “Pushing the Limits 2012”, at the artspace Gallery in Richmond, VA.  Pushing the Limits is a biennial exhibition that aims to expand the definition of fiber work within contemporary art while providing a venue for established and emerging artists.The juror is Katie Shaw.  It opens on July 27 and runs through September 23rd, and will run in concurrence with shows by Heidi Field-Alvarez and Mary Buchanan (July/Aug) ,Santa DeHaven (Aug/Sept), Brigette Newbery (July/Aug) and the SAQA  “This is a Quilt!” show (Aug/Sept).
SueReno_SkunkAndGarlicMustard
Skunk and Garlic Mustard
I made Skunk and Garlic Mustard, and the other works in my Flora and Fauna series, because of a love of the subject matter - the animals and plants I share my suburban Pennsylvania environment with - and a desire to express  the beauty I see in the glimpses I catch of their presence and their life cycles.  I find it a privilege to hold their skeleton remains in my hand, and marvel at the intricacies  of their construction, and their suitability for the life and diet of the animal.  They are not meant to be macabre, or induce squeamishness, but occasionally a viewer interprets them in that light, which is of course an interesting part of the conversation that art enables.  I recognize that they don’t always have the same initial appeal of the works in my botanical and architectural series, and while I don’t deplore that fact, it can make finding venues for display a bit problematic.  So I am double grateful for the opportunity to exhibit Skunk and Garlic Mustard in what promises to be an excellent show full of all kinds of wonders.
SueReno_SkunkAndGarlicMustardDetail1
Skunk and Garlic Mustard, detail 1
If you missed it, my New Work post yesterday has more about the construction of this work, with bonus photographs.
SueReno_SkunkAndGarlicMustardDetail2
Skunk and Garlic Mustard, detail 2
And as always, my sincere thanks for reading and commenting.  I try to respond individually to every comment, but if I somehow miss yours, please believe that I appreciate your input.

2 comments:

Kimberly Davis said...

Sue, I do so admire how you have stayed with the Flora and Fauna theme despite the difficulties in showing them. They are profoundly beautiful and it is clear that you honor your subjects.

Anonymous said...

I love the little re-constructed skeleton