October 30, 2011

Ashley and Bailey Silk Mill Studies at Marietta Art House

SueReno_SilkMillStudy3
Silk Mill Study #3
I’ve got 3 small framed textile works currently on display through December 18 at the Marietta Art House in Marietta, PA.  The exhibit is Rivertowns Reviewed ,  “unique artist interpretations of streetscapes, buildings, river views and architectural details in Bainbridge, Marietta, Columbia and Wrightsville. Artists are encouraged to visit and find inspiration in the built landscape of these historic places. Architectural details, unusual viewpoints, interesting textures and patterns, fresh 'takes' on old signage, patterns in industrial buildings, and odd angles are examples of subjects to be considered. The idea is not to do traditional 'portraits' of famous landmarks but, instead, to search out lesser-known views for visual inspiration."  There’s a very good article about it in the local paper
SueReno_AshleyBaileySilkMill
The Susquehanna River and environs is a constant source of inspiration for my work. For this exhibit I was prompted to unearth a project I started some time ago about the Ashley and Bailey silk mill in Columbia, PA.  I took pictures of the historic building just before a renovation project turned part of it into the Turkey Hill Experience, and blogged about it with lots of images  here, here, and here.  Finishing up my Watt & Shand project took precedence, and so on and so forth, but I hadn’t forgotten about it and am excited to be working on it again.
I turned several of my photos into thermofax screens, and had a fun afternoon making prints on a variety of fabrics, including ones I had previously hand painted:
SueReno_SilkMillPrints
The ultimate goal is a series of works exploring different aspects of the building, but to get familiar with the lines and angles involved I stitched up three of them as studies. 
SueReno_SilkMillStudy1
Silk Mill Study #1
Image size is a bit over 12” sq.  I had them matted and framed by the wonderful Jenny of State of the Art, finishing out at 19” sq., and they look pretty fabulous if I do say so myself!
SueReno_SilkMillStudy2
Silk Mill Study #2
I’m planning on being at the artist’s reception Sunday, November 13 from 2 - 5 p.m.  There will be good art, good friends, and good food in a wonderful setting, so stop by if you are in the area.

1 comment:

Kristin L said...

These look beautiful!