January 13, 2010

San Francisco: Muir Woods and Point Reyes

It's the time of year when cabin fever is becoming a palpable force, and in an attempt to keep myself from raiding the treasury to buy a ticket to someplace WARM, where I could be outside without fear and loathing, I am instead raiding my photo files for one final set of pictures from last year's trip to the San Francisco area.
These snaps are from Muir Woods, where the hiking started out groomed and easily accessible, then progressed to more challenging, and correspondingly rewarding, terrain.
It's so hard to capture the scale and beauty of the redwoods in a photo, but that didn't stop me from trying.

Next up was a trip to Point Reyes National Seashore. As an east coast native, the word "seashore" has an entirely different connotation--the approach to the New Jersey and Maryland beaches is flat, flat, flat. Here, I kept wondering the beach was, as we drove for some distance through scenic winding hills and meadows, through dairy farms, and past herds of elk:

At length we reached the trailhead for McClures beach, broke out the hiking poles, and headed down the trail:
And finally caught a glimpse of the ocean:
The views were stunning:

The beach had heaps of really interesting sea vegetation:
And amazingly, we had the place to ourselves for hours as we explored and enjoyed.

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

One of my fave places.

TB said...

Love these photos, makes me want to go there too!