June 8, 2024

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 89

Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1126
Another summer, another deep dive into the never-ending adventure of wet cyanotype printing! 
Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1127
I'm not the least bit tired or bored of doing it, and I doubt I will ever be. For me it's just the right blend of mastering a technique but with an element of unpredictability.
Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1128
For this batch I started with mineral paper and small leaves gathered around the garden. There's Chinese wild ginger, some ferns, and elm leaves.
Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1129
I'm using Jacquard cyanotype chemicals, with just a soupcon of Solarfast solar dye.
Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1130
The papers were covered with glass and left to bake and develop in the bright sun on a warm day.
Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1131
Here they are after exposure but before rinsing. I love this stage, but it's ephemeral, so I like to record the images.

Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1132

Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1133
The way the chemicals really scurry around on the mineral paper is spectacular.
Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1134

Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1135

Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1136

Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1137
Also included is a large (22" x 44") cotton sateen panel of black locust leaves (I forgot to take the pre-exposure photo, I'm out practice.)
Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1138
Here are the finished prints. Since I'm being all French and fancy today, my response to them is mainly "Oh la la"! I couldn't ask for anything more from them.
Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1139
They bring to mind all sorts of imaginary locales and situations.
Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1140

Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1141

Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1142
The black locust leaves came out so crisp, and the background is swoon-worthy. It joins the queue of  prints to be stitched and made into quilts.
Sue Reno, wet cyanotype, image 1143


Pick your platform to find and follow my content, and as always, thanks for reading!



 

No comments: