January 5, 2021

Heat Index acceptance for Light the World exhibit

 I am honored and delighted to announce that Heat Index was one of 41 pieces selected for the SAQA Global Exhibition Light the World by juror Jan Myers-Newbury. 

Heat Index, by Sue Reno
Heat Index

Light the World is scheduled to debut at the European Patchwork Meeting, Sainte-Marie-Aux-Mines, France in September 2021. Further venues are TBA.

Heat Index, by Sue Reno, detail 1
Heat Index, detail 1


My statement for the work: The UV rays of the sun are critical to my cyanotype and solar dye print process. I made these prints in August, when a combination of relentless sunshine, record temperatures, and high humidity had me checking each day for the predicted heat index, an indicator of just how unbearable outdoor activity would be. I used leaves from plants that were flourishing despite the heat, and the color palette captures the intensity of the heat and light. The prismatic patchwork reflects the small bits of shadow found among the foliage.

Heat Index, by Sue Reno, detail 2
Heat Index, detail 2



1 comment:

Anni Matsick said...

Sensational work, so rich in depth of color and detail. A tour de force!