January 16, 2021

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 59

Here's another installment of prints I made last summer, in June, during lockdown, when I had the energy to do the printmaking but not the documentation. It's ok--I'm enjoying looking at these bright, saturated colors while looking out the window at the snow falling down.

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 831
These are on cotton sateen panels, about 22" x 48", using cyanotype chemicals and Solarfast chemicals, applied together in a process I developed through trial and error.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 832

The first one used leaves from a tall blue lettuce plant, and the second used mullein leaves. I love wild plants and I especially love big, dramatic leaves, so these really hit the sweet spot for me. Above are both panels before being set out in the sun for a long exposure. 

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 833
These are the panels after exposure, but before being rinsed and finished. 
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 834
And here is the finished tall blue lettuce print.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 835

I used these leaves years ago for this eponymously named quilt, with a similar color scheme. It remains one of my favorites. My printmaking process has loosened up rather considerably from the precision I used to aim for.
Tall Blue Lettuce


Here is the mullein leaf panel. It's very dramatic!
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 836
I loved these panels both so much that in the months since June they have each made it into quilts-in-progress that are currently on my design wall. So you will be seeing more of them in the months to come.

A reminder that you can also follow on your platform of choice:



1 comment:

Robbie said...

As always, just beautiful!!!