September 23, 2020

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 49

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 727
I'm having fun experimenting with a new medium. Mineral paper is a synthetic paper made from calcium carbonite dust, bonded with HDPE. It's thin, with a very smooth texture, and holds up to wet processes much better than a lot of wood pulp papers. The flip side is that it's not very absorbent, although it will pick up water based pigments as stains. I wanted to see how it would work with my wet cyanotype process.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 728
With the first prints I set out I was immediately intrigued. The cyanotype pigments moved across the surface of the paper very quickly and fluidly. 
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 729
My first trial batch included a two fern panels, and two of pin oak leaves. The paper is 9" x 12". The cyanotype chemicals continued to move around the paper for a long time, although the rate slowed as it was (presumably) partially absorbed into the paper. I left it out in bright September sunshine and 70F temps for about 4 hours.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 730
Here are the prints after exposure but before rinsing. 
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 731
I was already in love with the background textures; very different than the effects I get on fabric.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 732
The chemicals seemed to cluster in thin/thick lines around the leaves.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 733
And here are the rinsed and finished prints. 
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 734
I am extremely happy with how these turned out and will be doing more of them.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 735
These will not be replacing my textile work, which is always where my primary focus will be. But the textile prints are just one stop in a longer process that involves many hours of stitching and quilting and finishing. 
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 736
Times are weird and scary, and I needed the quick jolt of immediate gratifiation, and these are fulfilling that need.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 737

Thanks for reading!

 And a reminder that you can also follow along on your social media of choice:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

No comments: