September 10, 2020

Circular Logic for the SAQA Auction

 

I contributed a 12" x 12" quilt to the SAQA Benefit Auction, which begins tomorrow, September 11. You can read all the details about how the auction works, and preview the works, here: https://www.saqa.com/auction
This piece began with a print I made of a plume poppy leaf from my garden. At the time I was experimenting heavily with combining cyanotype, Solarfast, and textile paints, and I thought this one turned out particularly well. For a while it was my "go" project; I carried it around and embroidered on the outline with variegated thread at the odd moment. 

I enjoyed turning the embroidered print into a very intricate small quilt. Here's my statement about the work:

Looking for valid information in the time of pandemic on which to base my decisions, I often run across circular reasoning, where the writer begins with the conclusion they are trying to end with. Searching for scientific accuracy keeps my wits sharp, and making art keeps my sanity intact. This piece began as an experiment using cyanotype and solar dye chemicals to print from a plume poppy leaf. I defined the edges of the image with hand embroidery. The patchwork on the side has heliographic print images of teeny plume poppy leaves. I quilted the main image using a multitude of circles. 


As often happens with fiberart, the picture cannot fully convey the way the silk shimmers, or the depth of texture and line that the quilting adds. It's a little gem, and I hope you are inspired to bid on it!

No comments: