September 9, 2019

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 41

Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 627
It's been a while! My printmaking practice was put on hold while I moved myself and my studio across Pennsylvania to the Pittsburgh suburbs. While gearing up to make some new wet cyanotype prints, I found a batch I made in June, just before dismantling the studio and packing it up, that I never documented. So I am doing so now.

First up was a big print, 20 some inches by 30 some inches. I had always been very protective of my Rodgersia aesculifolia, fingerleaf rodgersia, as I was growing it in less than ideal conditions. As much as I admired its large leaves, a weakness of mine, I didn't want to set it back by taking a cutting for printing. But it was obviously time for that ship to set sail, so I treated a piece of cotton sateen, added perennial favorites hosta 'August moon' and Japanese anemone leave, and gave it a go.

Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 628
I also did a hosta and wood poppy print, and some plume poppy leaves.
Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 629
 I have worked with these plants repeatedly for many years and wanted to get in one last print of them, although it was a rather rushed and slapdash affair.
Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 630
Here are the prints after exposure but before rinsing. Lots of good fireworks effects on the large one.
Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 631

Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 632
I had perhaps a bit too much moisture in some of the rest but they are still worth adding to inventory and working with at some time.
Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 633
Looks like they are melting! Which is appropriate as I was melting down a bit at that point.
Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 634
Here are the finished prints.
Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 635
I had some nervous energy late one night and went at the big one with a white pen and some textile paints and enhanced it. I took it in to be framed by my wonderful framer, Jenny at State of the Art who did a great job with a quick turnaround time. And now I have it installed in the place of pride above my new mantle. I rarely make art specifically for myself so this felt a bit transgressive and wonderful and I am enjoying it very much. I forgot to photograph before framing so please enjoy this image complete with reflections.
Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 636
Here are the rest of the prints from that batch.
Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 637

Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 638
They are closing out a chapter in my creative efforts but a new chapter is starting up and I'm excited to see what comes out of it.
Wet cyanotype -Sue Reno_Image 639

A reminder that you can follow along on your social media of choice:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

2 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

There's nothing decadent about making something for yourself; it's a balm and a wonderful memento of your garden. It looks beautiful. I'm sure you'll be thankful you made it.

Franki Kohler said...

Nice job! I especially like the fact that you framed a treasured print for yourself. You'll not regret that.