August 15, 2019

In Dreams I Found Utopia, New Work in Progress

In Dreams I Found Utopia, Sue Reno, WIP Image 1
Time for a new work in progress! This will be the chronicle of the last quilt I finished before I packed up my studio in anticipation of moving. I really had to push to get it done, and documenting fell by the wayside. So I'm sharing the steps involved now.

I started with leaves I had collected as they fell last autumn and then preserved with glycerin. I wanted a way to extend the wet cyanotype printmaking season. I also was in the mood to try printing a big panel, as opposed to my mainstay of 9 x 12 and 16 x 20 inch panels. I treated a nice big piece of my favorite cotton sateen with the cyanotype chemicals and waited for a somewhat sunny day, as the days grew ever shorter.
In Dreams I Found Utopia, Sue Reno, WIP Image 2
I detailed the setup and printing of these images back in December, in this blog post. I'm reprising a bit of it here, partly to catch us all up, but mostly because I am still in love with these images of the print during exposure after being left out overnight. The weather dipped below freezing and everything got so beautifully frosty.
In Dreams I Found Utopia, Sue Reno, WIP Image 3

In Dreams I Found Utopia, Sue Reno, WIP Image 4
Here's the print after exposure, before rinsing and finishing. It's hard to quantify the difference the frost made; I think it was subtle but still significant.
In Dreams I Found Utopia, Sue Reno, WIP Image 5
Here's the finished print. I fell madly in love with it, and pushed other things further down on the schedule so I could work on it while my love was hot and fresh.
In Dreams I Found Utopia, Sue Reno, WIP Image 6
Up next, time to add a river.

A reminder that you can follow along on your social media of choice:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Lovely....enjoy seeing your process!!! Thanks!!