December 27, 2018

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 34

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 543
 I shut up the wet cyan printmaking shop in October when the weather turned cold, as it is more difficult to get quality prints in the winter. But I left myself a lifeline by preserving some freshly fallen leaves with glycerine. Mid-December, I had a bit of free time and some mild weather, so I brought out my supplies and had some fun.
I wanted to make one big print, as opposed to a set of smaller ones, so I did a mockup to figure out how much cotton sateen cloth to treat. The dark room I dry my treated fabric in is only partially heated, so the panel dried unevenly. This didn't trouble me, I regarded it as one more variable in a process that is rife with them. So here is the panel, with the glycerine leaves arranged, just before exposure.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 544
 There's not much sunshine to be had in December, so I left the panel out overnight to catch the next day's rays. The temperature dipped below freezing overnight, and I found the most wonderful frosty display the next morning.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 545
 To be clear, these designs are on top of the plastic that is covering the panel.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 546
 The frost formed along the lines of the leaves underneath. I knew from past experience that I was unlikely to see much distinct evidence of the frost patterns on the finished print, so I seized the brief moment when the morning sun hit and took these pictures.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 547

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 548
 After bringing in the panel at the end of day two, and letting it dry overnight, here's the exposed, unrinsed print.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 549
 There was some very nice leaf veining; again, I knew it would not all survive the rinse, so I took photos.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 550
 I love the fleeting, ephemeral imagery.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 551
 The golden bits are from soda ash added before exposure.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 552
 Here's the finished panel after rinsing and drying. I think it's just marvelous.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 553
 You can see a bit of patterning where the cyanotype chemicals aligned themselves with the threads in the cotton sateen.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 554
 Some of the unevenness of the initial treatment of the fabric also shows up.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 555
 Most of all I love the beautiful turquoise and lavender shades I got along with the Prussian blues.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 556
 I've got big plans for this one.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 557
 If you are new here, welcome! For the past year and a half I've been documenting my experiments with the wet cyanotype process. You can access all the information by clicking on the Wet Cyan tab in the top header, or click here.

And a reminder that you can also follow along on your social media of choice:

Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

3 comments:

Vivien Zepf said...

How are you going to use this? Will you dare to cut this lovely cloth to bits or will you keep it whole? Can't wait to see.

Sue Reno said...

I’m not cutting this one up! I had to go to some trouble to print one this size. I’ve got a scenario involving it pretty clear in my mind—now to mAke it happen...

Unknown said...

You have truly created a beautiful pieceSue. It wil be delightful to see where your muse takes you with this one.

Kristin