April 7, 2019

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 36

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 571
 While waiting as patiently as possible for things to leaf out and the wet cyanotype printmaking season to start up on earnest, I made a few quick prints. The Pieris andromeda prints with buds turned out nicely a few weeks ago, so I repeated the experiment with them in bloom. 
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 572
 The first one I did straight, with just water, and on the second one I added some soda ash around the edges. These are all on cotton sateen I treated with the cyanotype chemicals. Here they are under glass and starting to process.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 573
 I kept the exposure time relatively short, about 90 minutes, because that's all the longer the fragile flowers lasted.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 574
Dimensional flowers, like daffodils or irises, are not good candidates for this technique. They get smushed under the glass and a lot of detail gets lost. I did some daffodil prints last spring and they ended up basically as blobs (which I then cut up and used in patchwork). I knew this, and yet here I was, with a sunny day and a yard full or daffodils and the hope that springs eternal in the heart of an experimentalist, so I gave it another go.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 575
 Here are the exposed, unrinsed prints. I'm very happy with this one:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 576
 And also with this one--a very dramatic example of the difference the soda ash can make.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 577
 And I felt cautiously optimistic about this one. Again, I tried to hit the sweet spot for exposure length.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 578
 Here are the finished, rinsed and ironed prints. I love the delicacy of this one:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 579
 And I also love the energy here:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 580
 The daffodil print is my best to date, but still not up to my standards. But that's ok! The whole point here is to experiment, hone my skills, and learn from each session, so it still counts as a success.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 581
If you are a regular reader, thanks for stopping by!
If you are new here, you can follow all 36 parts of my wet cyanotype adventure, with all the tips and tricks and images, by clicking on the Wet Cyan tab in the top header, or by going here.

You can also follow along on your social media of choice:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

July 2022 Update: This post has been doing some numbers, so I wanted to say hello, and thank you, to everyone stopping by. I also wanted to let you know that this exploration turned into a series of 78 posts, and counting! You can easily access them, in reverse chronological order, by clicking on the Wet Cyanotype tab in the top header. I share a lot of details about what I've tried, and am always honest about the results in each post. Mixed in is the occasional post showing artquits I've made with my prints. I hope you enjoy reading my blog, learn a thing or two, and try your own hand at this very enjoyable process. 


No comments: