March 10, 2019

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 35

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 558
 Cabin fever hit hard after a winter full of frequent snow and ice storms. While waiting impatiently for spring, I did a few quick wet cyanotype prints, just to keep my hand in.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 559
 All of my hardy perennials were under snow cover, so I turned to the evergreens for foliage. The first two prints are of arbor vitae, the other two are Pieris andromeda, aka Pieris japonica. I was willing to sacrifice the buds on a few twigs for the cyanotype gods.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 560
 All four prints are on cotton sateen that I previously treated with the cyanotype chemicals. I sprayed the setups with water and sprinkled on a few grains of washing soda, and set them out in the cold winter sunshine. Temperatures reached the low forties F.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 561
 I shoveled this deck off numerous times lately, and finally gave up on one corner of it. My studio assistant was engaged in the process as always, and set himself up for supervisory duties.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 562
 Here's the finished, un-rinsed prints after about five hours exposure.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 563
 The grains of soda ash make very pleasing little sparkles sometimes.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 564
 Other times, with perhaps just a bit more water trapped under the glass, the colors and swirls can get pretty fancy.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 565
 This one looked especially promising. They sometimes change a lot when rinsed out, so I always like to record this transitory stage.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 566
 Here are the finished prints. I am quite pleased with them all, and can feel the printmaking obsession sinking back into my bones.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 567
 Both the arbor vitae prints have a lot of nice detail.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 568
 Here's the wild one! I lost a bit of detail in the flower buds, but I can always add that back in with stitching. I love the purple tones in the leaves.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 569
 This one is a real gem.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 570

If you are a regular reader, thanks for stopping by!
If you are new here, you can follow all 35 parts of my wet cyanotype adventure, with all the tips and tricks and images, by clicking on the Wet Cyan tab in the top header, or by going here.

You can also follow along on your social media of choice:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

3 comments:

Pat Dolan said...

Sue, these are magnificent! They invite you to a whole new level of creativity! We'll be watching the progress of these prints into art quilts, for sure!

Is that the washing soda that makes it look like salt on watercolor, absorbing the color and creating starry effects?

Pat

Sue Reno said...

Thanks Pat! Yes, exactly, that's the washing soda crystals that give the starry effect.

Kristin Freeman said...

These are wonderful, Sue. Can’t wait to see what you create with them.💖💖