November 17, 2018

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 33

Wet Cyanotyoe_Sue Reno_Image 531
 Welcome to part 33 of my ongoing experiments with the wet cyanotype process on fabric. I made this batch of prints on the last  two days of October. Conditions here in Pennsylvania were very pleasant, with temperatures in the mid 60s (F) and plenty of sunshine.
Wet Cyanotyoe_Sue Reno_Image 532
 I collected some fallen sycamore leaves on a walk in the woods.
Wet Cyanotyoe_Sue Reno_Image 533
 I also collected some white mulberry leaves, and some burdock leaves, one of which was satisfyingly ridden with holes. All were set to expose on treated cotton sateen and covered with glass.
Wet Cyanotyoe_Sue Reno_Image 534
 There was enough sun, and heat to push a good reaction, especially for this time of year.
Wet Cyanotyoe_Sue Reno_Image 535
 The days are shorter now, so I left them to expose for a full 24 hours.
Wet Cyanotyoe_Sue Reno_Image 536
 These finished but unrinsed prints are full of promise.
Wet Cyanotyoe_Sue Reno_Image 537

Wet Cyanotyoe_Sue Reno_Image 538
 Here are the finished prints.
Wet Cyanotyoe_Sue Reno_Image 539
 I'm very happy with the tones of the leaf areas, and even more so with the cool breakdowns all around them.
Wet Cyanotyoe_Sue Reno_Image 540

Wet Cyanotyoe_Sue Reno_Image 541
 The weather has since taken a distinct turn towards more wintry conditions. I have some leaves preserved with glycerin that I may or may not be tempted to mess with at some point. I will let serendipity be my guide--I had a great printing season this year and am somewhat content.
Wet Cyanotyoe_Sue Reno_Image 542

 If you are new here, welcome! For the past year and a half I've been documenting my experiments with the wet cyanotype process. You can access all the information by clicking on the Wet Cyan tab in the top header, or click here.

And a reminder that you can also follow along on your social media of choice:

Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

No comments: