November 2, 2018

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 32

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 516
 There were a few warm, sunny days in the tail end of October, and I took advantage of them to make some more wet cyanotype prints. I had resupplied myself with my favorite cotton sateen, and treated some panels with the cyanotype chemicals in the usual way and let them dry. I began with a hosta leaf, showing the first signs of autumnal decay.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 517
 And followed with my usual stalward, a plume poppy leaf. Next were some goat's beard leaves, Aruncus dioicus.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 518
 I finished the batch with some calla lily leaves, also approaching the end of the yearly cycle,
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 519
 and a bit of ornamental sweet potato vine.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 520
 The sun was warm, but the days are shorter now, so I left these out for a about 27 hours to catch two days worth of rays.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 521
 This seemed to be a good strategy, as I got a lot more movement and colors shifts than I typically do this time of year.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 522
 These exposed, unwashed prints are gorgeous!
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 523

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 524
 Lots of promise in these. I removed the leaves and let them dry overnight in the dark before rinsing.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 525
 Here are the finished prints. This is a very good batch by my preferred standards.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 526
 This hosta leaf print is magnificent.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 527
 I love when I get those streaky orange and yellow bits.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 528
 All of these are destined for stitching and inclusion in a larger project. The spots on the calla leaves will be a real pleasure to stitch.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 529
 This is the darkest and most mysterious of the batch. Stitching will really make it pop.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 530

If you are new here, welcome! For the past year and a half I've been documenting my experiments with the wet cyanotype process. You can access all the information by clicking on the Wet Cyan tab in the top header, or click here.

And a reminder that you can also follow along on your social media of choice:

Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

No comments: