July 30, 2018

Experiments in SolarFast printing - part 5

Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 56
 For this batch of experimental prints, I wanted to focus on trying to preserve brush stroke lines, and on working towards a watercolor feel. I began with a stargazer lily blossom and a hosta leaf.
Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 57
 As before, these are all on cotton sateen. I'm working with a combination of SolarFast solar dyes and DyeNaFlow textiles paints. After applying the paints and adding the plants, I misted them with additional water, covered them with glass, and set them in the sun for exposure. For this batch the weather was in the mid 80s F, with moderate humidity.
Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 58
 Above is a cluster of Japanese Anemone leaves, below is a branch from a ninebark shrub, and I finished out the batch with a plume poppy leaf.
Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 59
 I let them expose for about three hours. Again, having learned how to work with these products according to the manufacturer's instructions, I'm playing around with the possibilities.
Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 60
 With the last batch of these, I let them dry overnight, then ironed them to heat set the DyeNaFlow before washing them out. This time I decided I wanted a degree of washout, so they went into the washer with hot water and textile detergent right after exposure. Here's the damp, un-washed prints:
Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 61

Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 62

Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 63

Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 64

Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 65
 And here are the final prints. There's lots of good detail in the stargazer blossom.
Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 66
 Just the right amount of washout in this hosta print.
Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 67
 The leaf spaces in the Japanese Anemone print are a bit too open at this point, but once I add the leaf veining with stitching they will be perfect.
Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 68
 I don't think I've worked with nine bark before, but it turned out well and I will use it again.
Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 69
 I'm especially happy with the way the brush strokes and water color feel came through on this plume poppy print. I feel like I am capturing the essence of July in the garden with this batch of prints.
Solarfast prints_Sue Reno_Image 70
As always, thanks for reading and commenting!

And a reminder that I also post on social media:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

No comments: