July 4, 2018

A Welcome Blanket

Welcome Blanket
 It seems fitting that I finished my Welcome Blanket quilt on July 4th. It will be displayed with many others at the Museum of Design Atlanta, then will be gifted to a new immigrant. I hope it helps to make them feel truly welcome as they begin their new life in the USA.
Welcome Blanket, detail 1
 I am a patriot and an idealist who believes in the message on the Statue of Liberty:
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. 
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"  
       

I am the descendant of immigrants, as are most of us. My community welcomes many newcomers each year, and all deserve a chance to follow their dreams and build a new life for themselves and their families.      
Welcome Blanket, detail 2
I pieced this 40" x 40" quilt out of bits and pieces of other projects. This type of patchwork is practical as well as symbolic. I quilted it in meandering lines to represent a safety net that connects and protects us all.

I learned about this project through a SAQA newletter. It's open to anyone who knits, crochets, or sews. All the details can be found at Welcome Blanket.

No comments: