June 25, 2018

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 23

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 372
Welcome to part 23 of my experiments in wet cyanotype. I made these prints on the summer solstice, June 21. It was a great day, nice and sunny, temperatures in the 80s F. I used my standard treated cotton, with a spritz of diluted red textile paint, a spritz of diluted soda ash, and some plain water. Above is a hosta leaf, below is a wood poppy.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 373
 I covered them with glass and set them out during the day and brought them in at twilight, as there was rain in the forecast. On this long and lovely day it was plenty of exposure.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 374
 Above is a compound leaf from a snakeroot plant, below is a Japanese anemone.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 375
 The wet cyan gods were smiling on me, and I could tell right away this was going to be a good batch. The early breakdown on the wood poppy print was spectacular.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 376
 Here are the finished, un-rinsed prints. They are looking good! I love it when I get that orange color.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 377
 Oh yes.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 378

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 379

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 380
 Here are the finished prints, all winners!
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 381
 There's so much going on here.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 382
 As wonderful as these are on their own, I ultimately want to use my prints in my art quilts. I'm going to have to come with a concept and a design worthy of  these.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 383
 I published my first "Experiments" post on the summers solstice in 2017, so I've done 23 batches of these in a about a year. I'm up to Image 384, so at approximately 3 images per print, with a few extra process photos here and there, I've done about 125 prints.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 384
I've made two quilts from them, Storm Watch and Heat Lightning, and have two more in the works. I've stitched up a small quilt, Halcyon Days, as a donation for the SAQA Benefit Auction, and mounted some smaller ones to sell when I give lectures. I've published a magazine article on the process. I've made prints in every season, in all kinds of weather, including snow. I thought this would be a summer fling, but it's turned into much more. I've especially enjoyed sharing my process and results on social media as I go along, and seeing what other artists do as they experiment with the process.. Thanks to everyone for your interest and support.

Here's where else you can find me:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Always fun and interesting to see your results! And, of course, the end product(s) all finished!