June 23, 2018

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 21

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 342
 Welcome to part 21 of my adventures in wet cyanotyope printing. I am still catching up with some prints I did early in June. Where I left off, I had run out of my preferred treated cotton sateen. I prepped some more, but while waiting for it to dry, I dug out the absolute, final, dregs and scraps of that ancient commercially treated muslin. Above are two Japanese anemone leaves, with appealing crooks in their stems, and below is another hosta leaf, once again my favorite 'August Moon'.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 343
 Again, I sprayed the setup with a mix of highly diluted red textile paint, diluted soda ash, and plain water, covered it with glass, and put it out for a roughly 24 hour exposure.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 344
 Lots and lots of Japanese anemone leaves this time, because why not?
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 345

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 346
 Here are the exposed, un-rinsed prints. Once again, the old chemicals broke down in all sorts of extreme and extravagant ways.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 347

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 348
 Those rusty brown swirls are just thrilling.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 349

Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 350
 Lots of sparkly highlights as well.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 351
 Here are the finished, rinsed and dried prints. They have lovely, dreamy pastel tones with streaks of darker blues.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 352
 For me they are transportive.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 353
 More dreaminess here:
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 354
 A little bit of washout at the bottom right of this one, but in a cool way that would be easy to fix with some stitching.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 355
 In general I still prefer my usual harder-edged, higher contrast prints, especially for their ultimate use in the kind of art quilts I plan on making with them. But this has been a lovely side excursion.
Wet cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 356
As always, thanks for reading and commenting!

And a reminder that I also post on social media:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

No comments: