October 13, 2017

Experiments in wet cyanotype - part 12

Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 170
One last round of wet cyanotype prints to finish out my printmaking summer! September here in Pennsylvania was mostly hot, dry, and sunny. I had no shortage of plants and flowers to print with. I did have an onslaught of other projects and deadlines, but I still worked in a bit of fun. The yellow gladiola, above, was the last of the season.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 171
Here is a delicate painted fern frond. This and the gladiola were done with just water, on cotton sateen.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 172
The days were warm, but the there were many less hours of sunshine then when I started this experiment in June, and I noticed I was not getting as much of a color shift. So for the rest of these I added a spritz of diluted washing soda around the edges to push the process a bit. Those are two Japanese anemone leaves with a fern, above. I also added a spritz of diluted red textile paint to most of these.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 173
Poke,  Phitolacca americana, is one of my favorite wild plants to admire as I assiduously weed it out of my gardens. The birds love the berries and spread them all about. I also love the berries--used to make "ink" with them as a child--and was curious to see what would happen with them in a wet cyanotype print. They have a lot of color, but it's a "fugitive" dye that's generally not permanent.

Here's Poke Salad, the art quilt with the very first cyanotype print I ever made. I was immediately addicted to the process:

Poke Salad, by Sue Reno
Poke Salad, by Sue Reno
Below are two sweetgum leaves ready to print:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 174
And here's Sweetgum in Autumn. I've been working with the plants in my environment for a long time, and I discover a new perspective every time I take a fresh look.
Sweetgum in Autumn, by Sue Reno
Sweetgum in Autumn, by Sue Reno
Finally, here's some marigolds. They've been spectacular in the garden this year.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 175
Here are the prints after roughly 24 hours exposure, before being rinsed out. I love them at this stage, partly because it's so transitory. The glad is looking good.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 176
This painted fern print is very delicate and tenuous at this stage.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 177
But the same type of fern is much more assertive here:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 178
The ripe poke berries bled out their color and were quite brilliant in the first hour or so of the exposure, then the color cooked out and mostly faded. Still, a cool aurora effect happened:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 179
There's a lot going on with these sweetgum leaves:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 180
Flowers are the trickiest things to print with this process so far in my experience, but I am heartened at the first look at these marigolds:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 181
And here are the rinsed, finished prints. The gladiola print is quite good:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 182
This fern is still tenuous, but has a lot of potential for stitch work:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 183
I'm kind of crazy about this one:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 184
I'm a bit ambivalent about this:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 185
With a little definition of the edges with stitching, this will be spectacular:
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 186
And I love the halo effect the blossoms made as they shrank up in the sun.
Wet Cyanotype_Sue Reno_Image 187
So all in all, a good finish to my summer of wet cyanotype printmaking! I am already doing the preliminary work on using many of these in more art quilts, which is my ultimate goal in making them. I have very much enjoyed the process of documenting my experiments here on my blog, and really appreciate all the lovely feedback I've received. You can review all 12 posts in reverse chronological order by clicking the Wet Cyanotype tab in the top header, or click here.


And a reminder that I also post on social media:
Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/suerenostudio
Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/suereno
Tumblr: http://suerenostudio.tumblr.com
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sue_reno_studio/

4 comments:

SuzanneG in NC said...

I so appreciate that you share your process and photos- and excitement. Your work is extraordinary; I am inspired.

Sue Reno said...

Hi Suzanne, It's been my pleasure to share, and thanks for reading and commenting.

Susan Gantz said...

It's been fun watching your experiments evolve. I too miss the way heat and the strong summer sun do magical mystical things. I'm trying to convince a friend who's an electrician to build me a UV light box. I did the background research, and it turns out it is far more complex (and expensive) than I'd imagined. I know light boxes are available commercially, but they run in the thousands! I've given serious thought to approaching a local tanning salon to see if they'd "rent" me some space in one of their tanning beds. I'll let you know how that turns out?!

Sue Reno said...

Yes, I've looked into UV light boxes, and complex and expensive describes it exactly. I've decided that the vagaries of working with sunlight fit in well with the unpredictability of working with plants, so I've made myself content. And I need the time off in the winter to work on using the prints in quilts. But the tanning salon idea sounds intriguing...will be watching for updates!