April 14, 2016

Work in Progress - The Longest Day, update 3

Sue Reno, The Longest Day, Work in Progress Image 8
What began as a small needlefelting demo piece, one of the step outs I made when I taped a segment for Quilting Arts TV, has morphed into a large quilt.  I began to border the embellished panel with patchwork strips, then decided it would benefit from cyanotype imagery.  Plus, I really enjoy making cyanotypes.  I began with some pictures I had taken of the Veterans Memorial Bridge, which spans the Susquehanna between Columbia and Wrightsville, PA.  I enhanced the images and made them grayscale, above, and then negative, below:
Sue Reno, The Longest Day, Work in Progress Image 9
I printed the images on transparency sheets and used them to make exposures on treated cyanotype fabric.  These were layered, had a preliminary round of stitching, and then fitted into the patchwork.
Sue Reno, The Longest Day, Work in Progress Image 10
I bordered the whole works with more of my photographic imagery that I had commercially printed onto cotton sateen.  It's a complex composition, but I'm excited about how well all the elements contribute to the aesthetic of the whole. And the intensive quilting that ensued since this photo was taken has further unified the piece and added texture and movement.
Sue Reno, The Longest Day, Work in Progress Image 11
You can track "The Longest Day" back as a work-in-progress by clicking on it under Labels in the right sidebar.

As always, thanks for reading and commenting.

No comments: