October 15, 2015

Work in Progress - Magnolia, Update 2


Sue Reno_Magnolia_WIP5 I’ve progressed on the Magnolia piece that I started en plien air at the PA Governor’s Residence. I began the needlefelting in the garden with a hand punch, blocking out the colors and the skeletons of the tree and the bushes.  Back in the studio, I have a machine needlefelter that lets me add layers of wool and silk more quickly and securely.  I’ve built up the tree and the rose bushes, and filled in the sky.  Next I will layer this up with thin batting and a backing, and stitch it to add more texture and detail.
Sue Reno_Magnolia_WIP6 At this point the piece is about 2 foot square.  This is an awkward size by my standards, a bit too large to frame out, but not large enough to make a big impact on its own.  Plus, I like working large, and I feel like I have more to say about this image.  So I’ve begun on some strip patchwork I will use to expand the work.  It’s a variety of silks, in different weights and textures.  It will be cut up and reconfigured, but it’s pretty cool just like this, isn’t it?

Stay tuned! And as always, thanks for reading and commenting.

No comments: