October 28, 2014

Making leaf prints, and other good news.

The printmaking season is winding down here. I enjoy the immediacy of working with natural materials, and I took advantage of this mild autumn to make a few more leaf prints while I could.
Sue Reno, Catalpa, Work in Progress Image 5
I got all excited about catalpa trees in 2008, and made some wonderful cyanotype and heliographic prints. Then I got sidetracked by something more urgent, or some kind of deadline, and set them aside. 
Sue Reno, Catalpa, Work in Progress Image 6
I was walking a woodsy trail recently and a catalpa leaf literally fell from a tree and onto me, so I took it as a sign and gathered a few more.  They are satisfyingly big leaves.
 Sue Reno, Catalpa, Work in Progress Image 7 I used my large Gelli plate and made both direct and “ghost” prints.  I got a bit exuberant with the colors.  They are up on the design wall, taunting me to ignore all the other projects in the queue, so we shall see. 
Sue Reno, Sycamore print 1
While I was at it, I made some sycamore leaf prints.   They are also a substantial leaf.  I have the beginnings of an idea on how I will use them—I have some new animal skulls that I want to work with, to add to my Flora and Fauna series. 
 Sue Reno, Sycamore print 2
In other news:
Surface Design Essentials for the Printed Quilt
My DVD, Surface Design Essentials for the Printed Quilt, is available for a limited time as a printmaking kit.  You receive the DVD, a copy of Quilting Arts Magazine with my how-to article on cyanotype printing, and a pack of treated cotton cyanotype fabric, so you can jump right in and start creating.  Get it while you can at the Interweave Store!  The DVD also has complete and concise instructions on heliographic printing, themofax printing, and collagraphy, so it is a very good deal.  The kit would make a lovely birthday or holiday gift. 
Silk Mill #1 by Sue Reno
For my friends attending The International Quilt Festival in Houston this week, be sure to look for my “Silk Mill #1” in the Tactile Architecture Exhibit.
100 Quilt Inspirations Book And last but not least, I’ve received word that my work will be included in Sandra Sider’s compilation book, 1000 Quilt Inspirations, to be released in February 2015.  I’ve seen lots of other acceptance notices from artists I admire, so I know it’s going to be an excellent volume.  It’s available on preorder from the publisher and from Amazon.

As always, thanks for reading and commenting.

6 comments:

Pat Dolan said...

Lots of great news, Sue. I love the large leaf prints and the colors you have used. It will be fun watching what you do with them. Can't wait to see more skulls, too! I'm an avid bone collector, but skulls are a RARE find in my experience. Guess I don't go deep enough into the woods or I don't look closely enough at the woods floor.

Great work, as always!

Sue Reno said...

Thanks Pat! Some of the skulls were found, others were borrowed from a friend with a very keen eye, and others were purchased. My only rule is "no road kill"!

Pat Dolan said...

Why "no road kill"? I saw a red-tailed hawk get hit by a car. I turned around and rescued the carcass.

Squashed road kill wouldn't be good, though!

Sue Reno said...

Pat, mostly to appease my family that I haven't gone completely off the deep end! But seriously, it's generally squished. And then there's the matter of separating the flesh from the bones, I don't have a good spot to let it happen naturally, and I don't want to keep dermestid beetles.

Pat Dolan said...

We hung one critter outside in an onion bag from a tree. Some sort of strange looking beetle proceeded to eat a great deal of the fleshy parts. My family already thought I was nuts, still thinks so. This is mild, compared to some other things I've been known to save/do/etc.!

Sue Reno said...

That sounds fascinating to watch, Pat--more power to you!