April 18, 2013

Skunk and Garlic Mustard acceptance into Images 2013

SueReno_SkunkAndGarlicMustard
I am delighted to announce that Skunk and Garlic Mustard has been accepted into Images 2013, the juried gallery exhibition of the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts.  The juror is Joyce Robinson, curator of the Palmer Museum of Art.  Images 2013 will hang in the Robeson Gallery on the University Park campus of the Pennsylvania State University from June 5 to July 14, 2013. 

SueReno_SkunkAndGarlicMustardDetail1
I’ve been privileged to have work in this premier regional exhibit in past years--I’ve even won some awards--and I am always very impressed with both the quality of the works selected for the exhibits, and with the exhibit space itself and how well the staff utilizes it.  I’m looking forward to the opening reception on June 7th; perhaps I’ll see you there!

SueReno_SkunkAndGarlicMustardDetail2
Skunk and Garlic Mustard is part of my Flora and Fauna series, where I am working with the skulls of native wildlife in conjunction with plant monoprints and vintage textiles.  For this piece, I had the luxury of an entire skunk skeleton to photograph and use for cyanotype prints.  I love the delicacy and beauty of these small organic artifacts, and marvel at how they once worked as a whole to support such an interesting and successful life form. 

The vintage component in the work is the bit of french knot embroidery running down the right panel.  It was a gift from a kind friend, so like many vintage textiles I don’t know its provenance but can only appreciate the skill of whoever stitched it.  The botanical print is a heliographic monoprint, made on silk with textile paints, of the horribly invasive garlic mustard plant.  Despite the time I spend cursing it and pulling it, I can’t help but admire its energy and beauty.

As always, thanks for reading and commenting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kudos Sue! Wish I were close enough to attend some of the exhibits you land in.