September 14, 2009

Fox Grapes

I am very busy right now with working on the Watt & Shand series, but I was seduced and temporarily waylaid by a huge fox grape vine I encountered while out and about. Fox grapes, Vitis labrusca, grow wild here in Pennsylvania, and the vines can ramble rather extensively. They cling with delicate looking but strong tendrils, which can be seen in the cyanotype print I made, above.
That print joins one I made several years ago, seen above during exposure. They will both join the queue of work I am passionate about producing but lack the time to address right now....I will pick out colors and fabrics to go with them, and the latent design will simmer in the back of my mind. It's good to have things like this to think about in the middle of the night or as a welcome distraction from the news of the world. I'd like to have some of the actual grapes to photograph--they are much smaller than a cultivated grape, but they are hard to find, as the birds and other wildlife make short work of them. They are similar in color to these concords, below, with a similar whitish bloom.

3 comments:

Kristin L said...

You are serious about pinning! Obviously, that's a good thing because your prints are beautiful. I like the sinuous vines and look forward to seeing what you eventually do with them.

Sue Reno said...

Yes, very serious about pinning! It's a bit of an art form; some plants lie obligingly flat, but other curl in the sun, and the trick is to predict where the curl will be, and pin without leaving marks on the print.

Terry Grant said...

That print is GORGEOUS! So crisp and those graceful tendrils...