November 1, 2008

A Sunny Day

The cyanotype gods smiled upon me again today. It was sunny, calm, and very warm for November, so I took advantage of it and made some prints--I might not get another chance for quite a while.

I've been thinking a lot lately about all the pictures I've taken of the renovation of the Watt & Shand building, and how I work with them. (If you are new here, you can follow the saga by clicking on Watt & Shand under Labels on the right.) I'm not ready to commit to a large scale work just yet, but I'm excited about playing around with some of the images. I made transparencies of several of the photos and printed with them in a small size. I plan on using them for postcards and/or collage work while I think further about this project.

It was fun to do some studio work. For the past month or so I've been busy with a few quick trips and a LOT of yard work. I've torn down some deteriorating split rail fence along both sides of the property, and done some heavy renewal pruning. I enjoy heavy labor--it exercises the body while freeing the mind, and I'm full of ideas and inspiration.

There's been some light frost, but there's still a few plants hanging in there. The nasturtiums are bit tattered but still lovely:



Same thing for the Swiss Chard:



Japanese Anemones are one of my favorite perennials. The graceful foliage and pristine blossoms would be welcome anytime of year, but they are especially appreciated in October and November:


No comments: