November 7, 2008

New Work - Big Root Geranium

Today's feature is the second of three new works that I've added to my website. Big Root Geranium, in contrast to yesterday's feature Sycamore, came together fairly quickly. I had just finished the quilting on Sycamore, and was restless and itchy to start something new and different.
I made the cyanotypes in May of this year, when the plants were blooming. I was especially pleased at how well the delicacy of the blossoms showed up in the prints:

The top just fell together in a few days. I used a variety of fabrics, including many that I handpainted, that looked like unlikely combinations at first but really glowed when once I had them arranged.

I posted about this one frequently when it was in progress--click Big Root Geranium at right under "Labels" to track back and read the full story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites, Sue. Just when I think you can't possibly make a quilt more beautiful than the previous one, you go ahead and do it.

Someday I'd like to see a retrospective of your work at the Philadelphia M of A. Or MOMA, but Philly is closer.