September 4, 2008

Fabulous Fiber

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of going to the opening reception of the Fabulous Fiber exhibit at The Monmouth Museum in Lincroft NJ. There I am, posing with my The Cul-de-Sac, and looking very happy! It is a wonderful exhibit, representing a wide variety of fiberarts, expertly chosen by jurors Joanie San Chirico and Geraldine Velasquez. The exhibit runs until September 21st--go if you get the chance!


The opening was well attended, and I had the opportunity to tell the story behind my quilt several times. I'm always interested to hear people's reactions to my work, and enjoy answering questions.


The best part of the evening, though, was meeting some of the other artists and hearing their stories. Below is Natalia Margulis, a Russian-born artist who does extraordinarily detailed embroideries rich with texture and color. Here she is with "Floating Oak Leaves":

Here is Joan Dreyer with her work "Mission Accomplished", one of two works she had in the show. My snapshot doesn't begin to do it justice--it's made from dental xrays, joined with stitches, and is really quite remarkable:
I also met Linda Friedman Schmidt, who has taken rug hooking as a medium to a new and unique place, using recycled clothing and plastic shopping bags, to create works with social commentary. Here she is posing with her "Plastic Fantastic Makeover":

Here is Jane F. Johnson with "The Breeding Blue Heron". Jane was a lot of fun to talk to, and her work is beautiful.

The evening went by far too quickly. It was so exciting to see such a variety of novel and creative and beautiful artwork; my pictures barely scratch the surface. I came away energized and full of renewed enthusiasm to get to work in the studio and see what happens!

My companion for the evening was the lovely and talented Mary Manahan, who is not only an art quilter and water colorist, but also a hostess extraordinaire, who navigated the wilds of Monmouth County and graciously gave me a place to rest my weary head that night. Thank you Mary!

No comments: