April 2, 2023

Textiles Unleashed Acceptances

In Dreams I Slept in a Cabin, by Sue Reno
In Dreams I Slept in a Cabin
I am thrilled to announce that two of my large scale quilts, In Dreams I Slept in a Cabin and In Dreams I Went Fishing, have been accepted into the SAQA-PA exhibit Textiles Unleashed.
In Dreams I Slept in a Cabin, by Sue Reno, detail
In Dreams I Slept in a Cabin, detail
Textiles Unleashed will be at the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art in Loretto, PA, from April 28, 2023 through July 15, 2023.
In Dreams I Went Fishing, by Sue Reno
In Dreams I Went Fishing
There will be a reception, with artist gallery talks, on Saturday, April 29.
In Dreams I Went Fishing, by Sue Reno, detail
In Dreams I Went Fishing, detail


Both quilts are from my ongoing series The River.

In Dreams I Slept in a Cabin: I lived near the mighty Susquehanna River most of my life and it is the inspiration for much of my artwork. This piece stems from a dream where I lived a simple life in a cabin near the river, lulled to sleep each night by the sound of it flowing, and awakening to its fresh beauty each morning.

Wool and silk fibers, silk and cotton fabric, cyanotypes, monoprints, needlefelting, patchwork, stitching. Size: 55"h x 94"w

In Dreams I Went FishingInspired by a move to Pittsburgh, I’ve begun exploring the landscapes of the three rivers. Imagery in this quilt reflects my thoughts on the past use of the resources of the rivers by indigenous peoples, changes wrought by industrialization, and post-industrialization restoration efforts.

Materials: wool, silk, and mylar fibers; artist-painted and commercial cotton, silk, and wool fabric; embroidery thread, glass seed beads.

Technique: wet process cyanotype/solar dye, needlefelting with hand embroidery and beadwork, hand stitched patchwork, stitching. Size: 49”h x 77”w


 Thanks as always for reading! You can also follow along on your platform of choice:

No comments: