August 7, 2022

New Work - Under the Thunder Moon

Under the Thunder Moon, by Sue Reno
Under the Thunder Moon

It's time to share another new work! This is Under the Thunder Moon. It's one of the quilts making its debut at the Virginia Quilt Museum in my solo show, Beyond the Blue: Contemporary Narrative Quilts by Sue Reno. The exhibit runs from August 16 - October 23, with a reception on September 23.

Under the Thunder Moon, by Sue Reno, detail 1
Under the Thunder Moon, detail 1

A common name for July’s full moon is Thunder Moon, in reference to this month’s frequent thunderstorms. These wet cyanotype prints capture the effect of moonlight on some of the perennial stars in my garden borders. Plants used are plume poppy, calla lily, and Virginia creeper. I do love a big dramatic leaf!

My concerns about climate change, our lackluster governmental response, and the increasing frequency of damaging storms have lead me to make an informal series of quilts based on weather phenomenon. Here I am taking a gentle approach, evoking the mood as I stand in my doorway and watch a thunderstorm sweep across my garden beds, refreshing them after a scorching day under the July sun. Perhaps you've shared the experience of waiting until the lightening has passed, then dashing out to dance about a bit in the warm rain--I particularly recommend enjoying this activity with children.

Under the Thunder Moon, by Sue Reno, detail 2
Under the Thunder Moon, detail 2

The patchwork here is a mix of bits and pieces leftover from other projects. I had a lot of fun arranging and rearranging the pieces until they set the right mood. This one measures 39" x 23".

Thanks as always for reading! You can also follow along on your platform of choice:
 

No comments: