April 28, 2022

Unfolding the Universe, a JWST VR Event

I am pleased to announce that my artwork will be featured in the Earth Gallery of "Unfolding the Universe: A James Webb Space Telescope VR Experience" presented by @azelinskie @metaxustudio and @NASAwebb. Tonight Paul Geithner will be giving a talk and Q&A. Ticketing is sold out, but you can participate on Youtube live here: https://youtu.be/fMkR1HKDpqk  

First Light
First Light

I will be in the gallery (it's a beautifully created space) with my three recent JWST art quilts, and Luminosity, the original I made after viewing the telescope while it was under construction.
Galaxy Assembly
Galaxy Assembly


You can see the recent quilts and read about them on my website at First Light, Galaxy Assembly, and Stellar Nurseries.
Stellar Nurseries
Stellar Nurseries

Luminosity
Luminosity
Luminosity and it's story are here: https://suereno.com/luminosity

Once again I am blown away that I have had the opportunity to use my art to represent this amazing piece of technology. The launch and deployment have gone exceeding well and we are all looking forward to the first images it will capture this summer.

Recap after the event: There are two galleries in this virtual space. The Earth Gallery is where the artwork is displayed; artists and participants hung out and moved around and interacted for the first part of the event. This part was not recorded for obvious reasons. The Sky Gallery is where the presentation was, and it was recorded and is up on YouTube. I recommend starting at about the 52 minute mark, where the introductions and Paul Geithner's excellent talk begin. If you've ever wondered what everyone is so excited about JWST, this talk is a great overview of what led us to this point and what we can expect going forward. If nothing else, check out how cool a VR space can be! It was a great experience. https://youtu.be/fMkR1HKDpqk

No comments: